Sunday 21 August 2011

Paul (2011, Greg Mottola)

Graeme Willy (Simon Pegg) and Clive Gollings (Nick Frost) are two comic-book-loving, alien-believing, anything-to-do-with-space obsessed British buddies, who go on a once in a life time trip to the US. After a successful visit to Comic-Con, they start their pilgrimage to all places connected with UFO's and UFO sightings. Along the way they bump in to an alien, Paul (Seth Rogan) and reluctantly agree to help him return to his mothership. They also happen to pick up a religious fanatic and love interest for Graeme, Ruth (Kristen Wiig), and hot on their trail are FBI agents and Ruth's incensed father.
A major fan of Simon Pegg and Nick Frost's previous work - tv series Spaced (1998-2001), Sean of the Dead (2004) and Hot Fuzz (2007); I was excited to watch the next insta
llment.
I ruddy well enjoyed it. Apart from great
writing and directing in these movies, why I love their work so much is the fact that Pegg and Frost are best mates in real life. Their friendship is evident on screen and adds a special dimension to their films. Paul is funny and well paced, with tender moments. It was fun spotting the sci-fi film references and I loved seeing a stunning Sigourney Weaver. The dvd extras are great - especially watching how how Paul was created out of Seth Rogan.


Four stars from me


2 comments:

  1. This is such a fun film. Which I loved even more on the second viewing. Plenty of Laugh out loud moments. I love Pegg and Frost!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These guys are comfort food movie style. You know you are going to feel warm and happy watching them.
    I can't wait to watch Paul again as well. As much as I laughed at this first time I saw it, I am happy knowing I will fall deeper and deeper in love with the flick as I have with their other stuff.

    ReplyDelete